CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Finally!

I finally was able to harvest a nice buck tonight! I have been hunting hard this year, harder than I should have since we have a new baby! Did I mention Jennifer gets the International Wife of the year award?! But since I missed not 1, but 2 really nice deer at the beginning of the year, I have been determined not to be shut out...but I have to admit once the calendar turned to December I had pretty much given up hope of a nice buck for 2008. As a matter of fact, I really don't know anyone that has killed a nice one in December in the lowcountry of South Carolina (with the exception of James Wedgeworth, who killed a monster two weeks ago!).
Well, tonight I had a chance to hunt my leased property, Richfield Plantation, and take along my future brother-in-law, Charlie. I sat in a stand I call "Carolina Bay" because it is tucked away in the woods around an old dried up bay. I put Charlie in a ground blind in a new spot I have been watching.
About 5:25 pm or so, I looked up and happened to see a nice buck moving from my right to left. He was feeding and walked to within 80 yds or so of my stand, and I decided this was a shooter buck and laid the hammer down. I dropped him in his tracks with one shot! He was a nice 7 Point with a 15" spread. I would estimate him to be 3 1/2 years old. A great buck for December nonetheless! I am having him processed at Ramsey's in Sheldon, SC. They are also going to do a nice European Mount for me. Interestingly enough, I have a picture of this deer from August with my scounting camera. I killed him about 15 yds from the spot of the photograph taken in August! just goes to show you that bucks will stay in the same area year after year!
Thank goodness Charlie was there to help pull this big guy out of the woods...I estimate the distance we had to drag him out was about 300 yds...not sure the exact distance but it was a long way!!! Thanks Charlie...and hopefully next time we hunt I'll be able to return the favor!

Nice Lowcountry Buck taken at Richfield Plantation Hampton Co, SC

Another Shot...Buck Taken at Richfield Plantation Hampton Co, SC



Pre-season scouting photo of this guy!

2 comments:

Jeff Hunt said...

Congratulations on a great late-season buck!

SimplyOutdoors said...

It's always cool to shoot a buck you have on trailcam. I have yet to do that yet.

And you have one understanding wife. I have a two month old, and needless to say, I didn't make it out hunting much this season. It was worth the sacrifice though.

I'm still waiting for my deer for the season to show up.