CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Relic Hunting

Well now that Deer season in SC and College Football is over, I've been spending more time around the house playing with Anderson and completing a few "honey-dos." However, I was able to sneak out of the house for a few hours last weekend to do a little relic hunting.


For those that don't know, I am kind of a closet history buff and really enjoy Civil War and early American History, especially when it pertains to the South. When I was a kid, I really loved learning and reading about archeology...so this may be a way of fulfilling a childhood fantasy, I don't know. I do know, however, that there is something really exciting about finding a piece of history in the ground that hasn't been touched in hundreds of years. Fortunately, I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, where there are numerous places to hunt. There is so much history here, and it's a really great way to enjoy the outdoors this time of the year.



As for my new finds, I recently searched a "hunted out" Yankee Civil War Camp on Lady's Island in Beaufort, SC. Even though this place has been hunted many times in the past, I always seem to find a few relics. In about two hours I found a dropped .58 Cal "Minnie Ball" Bullet, a piece of burned "camp lead," and a brass rivet that was used as a sword belt placeholder. Nothing to retire on, but a few nice finds notheless. I tried to think about those Yankees that were here based out of that camp in the early 1860's, that I'm sure had never been to this part of the deep south before. Remember that they were here for 5 years without air conditioning, bug spray, or bridges, among other necessities of lowcountry living today! I bet they loved the mosquitos and sand gnats! Wonder where the guy was from that dropped that bullet, or the guy that lost the placeholder out of his belt?


Another place I hunted recently was around McPhersonville, SC, a former thriving Summertime Southern Village for coastal plantation owners in the 18th and 19th century. There was a battle here during the revolutionary war, and McPhersonville was the headquarters of the Confederate third military district of SC during the Civil War. I went to hunt an area that I have under lease for deer and turkey hunting, but due to the historical activity in this area, I knew that it was possible to find some old relics. Problem is, I have no clue where anything of significance was on the property...as now it's all grown up in fairly thick swamps and pines. I did search around a few old Magnolia trees that were an indication of an old house site. I really didn't find much of substance (old nails, aluminum caps and pop tops, iron, etc.). I did make one nice find, though. I found a brass piece with two holes in it. It is very ornate and perhaps was used as a nameplate or decoration for some type of furniture or other piece. I really have no idea of it's use or what it was, but it is definitely from the late 1700's through the 1870's or so. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what it could be!



Recent Finds: Brass Sword Belt Plcaeholder, dropped .58 cal Minnie Ball Bullet, camp lead, Brass Ornate Piece



I also want to make sure that folks interested in relic hunting or lowcountry history check out Richard Walker's new book, Relics and Reminiscing. This is a great work detailing Richard's 30 plus years of relic hunting, primarily in the Lowcountry. He has made some great finds and is a really neat South Carolinian. Thanks for a very entertaining book, Richard!

1 comments:

Richard said...

Brad, I was searching various sites and ran across yours, which at first glance seems to have a all a guy could want! Thank you for the kind words on "Relics." I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I am your site.