CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 16, 2009

That's why they call it Hunting!

This morning was opening day of Turkey Season 2009 for me. I arrived at my spot at 7am. Walked 20yds from the truck when wham, Gobble! I couldn't tell where or how far so I hooted the owl call once, and wham, gobble again-I located him, and he was close, about 75 yds away, roosted in a pine tree. I slinked over into the woods off of the road and set up. I had good visability about 60 yds down the road, but not a shooting lane as there was a good bit of brush and sapling trees in my way. Anyhow, I yelped a couple of times, and he gobbled back. I yelped a few more times and laid the call down. He gobbled 5 or 6 more times and I heard him fly down. 2 minutes later, here he comes. A big boy, 10+ in beard, made his way down the road, coming right to me on a string. I had the gun on my knee, and the safety was off. Due to a lack of a shooting lane, I could see the bird making its way down the road looking for the hen, and I just got ready. He gobbled two or three more times within 30 yds of me...talk about heart pumping action! Once the bird got into my shooting lane (about 10 yds away) I raised my gun to my shoulder to take the shot and the bird flew off like a bat out of hell-I shot but it was too late. He was already in air about 30 yds from me. I was shocked at how fast he took off and cannot believe I do not have a dead turkey to show for such an awesome hunt. Took the shot at 7:30am-An incredible hunt nonetheless!

0 comments: