CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Turkey Hunting Updates

I've been lax with blogging lately, not because I haven't been busy, but because the hunting has been Lousy! I've still got 5 tags to fill, and it appears as though I'll end the season without a turkey...again!


Last weekend Jennifer and I went to the Heritage Golf Tournament, so I did not do any hunting. For more on the Heritage, check out jennifer's blog here.


I went hunting yesterday at the Webb, Hamilton Ridge, and Palachucola WMAs. We did not hear a bird or see a bird. It was horrible, especially since I took a day off from work! I was told over 45 gobblers have been killed there this year, but on 26,000 acres, that's a small amount to me. The old timers say in the past you could hear turkeys gobbling everywhere...but times have changed with the poor poult years recently as well as the increase of interest in turkey hunting, adding more and more hunters to the mix.

Cypress Swamps at Webb Wildlife Management Area



This morning Allen Haynes and I went to Yemassee to try and get on a gobbler before the season ends. They have been real quiet up there for the most part this year, but this morning we got on a good bird and he gobbled 10-15 times, but never came in as I believe he got with hens. We saw a few hens later and called back and forth with one for a few minutes, but once again, it appears as though there will be no turkey gumbo or smoked turkey sandwiches for the Talbert household unless they come from Butterball in 2009!

0 comments: