CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 2, 2010

Turkey Season 2010

Well if anyone is still checking out my blog they either have too much time on their hands or they are just really bored! Either way, I apologize for the lack of posts lately. It's not that nothing interesting in my life has been going on, quite the opposite-however, I just haven't had the time to devote to updating the blog.
So, although delayed, I thought I would post a photo and story of the Wild Turkey I took on Good Friday, April 2 this year. It had been a long time coming, and this hunt was as textbook as you can get.
I hunted this exact spot the week before with my buddy Evan Jeffords and we got right on a bird at sunrise, and he gobbled 20 times or more, but unfortunately he never showed up after he flew off the roost.
So I sneaked back into this area in a hardwood swamp off of a power line, and once I got settled I gave a quick hoot on my owl tube, "who cooks for you, who cooks for you all..." as the woods were waking up and bam-Gobble, not one, not two, but three birds!
I took my time getting set up by a good shooting tree, and lightly let out a few yelps, bam-they all answered. I called about 5 or 6 more times, and shut up. Each time they gobbled back, so I knew I was in business. After about 10 minutes, I saw 2 white hot heads walking through the swamp right in front of me, and at 6:58am, I dropped a nice 18 lb lowcountry gobbler at about 22 yds with my old Benelli!
The entire hunt took less than 30 minutes, and that makes up for the scores of all day hunts with nothing to show for my efforts-But as they say, a bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work!

Lowcountry Gobbler, Richfield Plantation, McPhersonville, SC

0 comments: