CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hunting over Thanksgiving!

Fortunately I was able to take a few days off over the Thanksgiving Holidays to spend with the family, but also to get in a little Deer Hunting! I hunted Wednesday afternoon in Yemassee, and saw a doe. Then, I was able to take my soon to be Brother in law Charlie hunting Friday morning, but neither of us saw anything. This was Charlie's first deer hunt, and he did great with the exception of peeing right by the stand. Charlie, yes, that could perhaps be why you didn't see anything!! Rule #1: Relieve yourself at the truck, not at the stand!

Here I am with Charlie-after fishing in the Paddocks Pond on Thanksgiving Day


I got a call from my friend James Wedgeworth Saturday during the Clemson/Carolina game inviting me to join him for a hunt Saturday evening. Well you know I couldn't turn that down, so I headed up to Estill and sat for the evening. In spite of the dreary conditions, the rain let up about 4pm and we headed to the stand. Also hunting with us were James' son in law Drew Hunter, a med school student in Charleston, and his father, Mr. Hunter. I was sitting in one of my favorite stands at Trowbridge, the 14 acre Pea field stand. Here's a view from yesterday.





14 Acre Pea Field

About 5pm, 3 doe came out into the field, and since I was wanting another deer for the freezer, I was more than willing to shoot a doe. Well I focused on the largest one, shot, and the deer ran off into the woods, and the other two ran into the field. I shot at another, cleanly missing it. I then decided to shoot a third time, as the other doe was still standing in the field. I hit her cleanly and she ran about 15 yds in the woods and piled up. I was sure that I hit the largest one with my first shot at 165 yds, but could not find any sign of a wounded deer. in spite of 3 shots, I only came away with 1 doe! It was a young doe, and will be great for the freezer. James, I'll hold off on taking a chance with the young ones in the future, so as not to mistake a doe for a button buck-thanks for the tip about deer that run into the field after a shot!



This one will "eat good!"





0 comments: